Salt Dough Ornaments are a simple and classic Christmas craft to throw together for your family. Whether it's playing with the dough, painting, or just observing, this Christmas activity is a fun way to spend some quality time together as a family and make memories.
We love these humble salt dough ornaments because they are so simple, sweet and memorable. On a chilly day, you can grab the supplies from your pantry on a whim, and get creating. Bake, paint, and let the creative juices flow. Add ribbon, texture and embellishments to make these salt dough ornaments special and unique.
1 cup warm water
SALT DOUGH RECIPE
- MAKE THE SALT DOUGH BY FIRST COMBINING THE FLOUR AND SALT. SLOWLY ADD IN THE WARM WATER AND CONTINUE TO MIX (BY HAND, OR WITH ELECTRIC MIXER), UNTIL THE MIXTURE COMES TOGETHER. THE DOUGH SHOULD NOT BE FLAKY. YOU CAN ADD A LITTLE MORE OR LESS OF THE WATER TO GET THE RIGHT CONSISTENCY (SIMILAR TO PLAY DOUGH).
- KNEED THE DOUGH UNTIL IT IS SMOOTH.
HOW TO MAKE THE SALT DOUGH ORNAMENTS
6. USE A DRINKING STRAW OR TOOTHPICK TO MAKE THE HOLES AT THE TOP OFTHE ORNAMENTS FOR HANGING.
7. TRANSFER PARCHMENT PAPER WITH THE ORNAMENTS ON IT TO THE BAKING SHEET.
8. BAKE IN THE OVEN AT 225 DEGREES FOR 2-3 HOURS. THE THINNER THE ORNAMENTS, THE LESS BAKE TIME NEEDED. CHECK EVERY 30 MINUTES AFTER THE FIRST 2 HOURS, TO SEE IF THE BOTTOM OF THE ORNAMENTS ARE LIGHT BROWN.
9. LET THE ORNAMENTS COMPLETELY COOL BEOFRE DECORATING.
10. HAVE FUN PAINTING AND DECORATING WITH ACRYLIC PAINTS, AND USE TWINE OR RIBBON TO HANG THE ORNAMENTS ON THE TREE.
Get this tutorial in print out form, along with some helpful tips, in Petunia's Pasture FREE HOMESCHOOL RESOURCE LIBRARY. Click the link below, enter your email address, and receive the PDF form of this salt dough ornament tutorial, to download and print for FREE.